Tuesday, May 05, 2009

eBooks on Cell Phones

We hear a lot about the Kindle and the inroads it is making into the book publishing industry. However, we hear less about the software that makes it possible to read eBooks on cell phones, especially smart phones with their larger screens.

Nevertheless, smart phones, like the Blackberry, are gaining in popularity, expecially, it seems, among higher income women. The beauty of using phones to read on is that there is nothing extra to carry around. You're going to have your phone with you anyway. And even though the screen is smaller and not as geared to reading as the Kindle, the convenience factor is obviously an important one to many. Not to mention the cost factor - not having to spend $300 plus on a new gadget. There's a rundown on this trend in Computerworld this week.

1 comment:

Chris Vickerson said...

I really like was Oreilly is doing in this area. http://m.safaribooksonline.com has a great selection of [tech] books and are designed for mobile phone reading or screen reading - it's awesome. I use my Blackberry World Edition phone, which is pretty good, but I'm on the prowl to upgrade my phone. I've tried some of these PDF readers that have high fidelity - so far they have been a complete waste of time - it's much better reading to get the text stripped out of a pdf and rendered in a native format. Blackberry just wasn't made to enjoy reading PDF documents with "high fidelity". I *could* be tempted by the Kindle but alas it is not available in Canada; and it may never be (thanks to some legal and IP issues I believe). It couldn't replace the convenience of my my phone though.